According to experts, these are some of the things that will happen to your body when you stop having s*x.
*Photo used for illustrative purpose*
S*x is not only pleasurable, it is also therapeutic. That’s what experts say. Experts warn that if you’ve had s*x before and now you are refraining from it, there would be trouble!
The following are some of the risks involved…
1. Unhealthy heart: Experts say s*x can be good for your heart, based on a research. Scientists consider the act of s*x an aerobic exercise, which is very good for your heart. In fact, certain research assures that a healthy sex life may decrease your risk of having a heart attack.
2. Loss of libido: Certified s*x therapist, Sari Cooper, notes that, for some people who refrain from s*x, they begin to feel more sluggish, with less vitality and low hunger for s*x. It is a literal fulfilment of the adage, ‘Out of sight is out of mind,’ hence the death of the desire for s*x.
3. Weak vagina wall: For the woman, if you stop having s*x, the muscles in your vagina can tense up and therefore make s*x become painful. Your vaginal walls get weaker.
4. Anxiety: When you have not had s*x for a long period, you may become anxious about having s*x, which can lead to tension that can make it uncomfortable.
5. You might feel unhappy: Specialist in sexual health and HIV, Dr. Mark Lawton, says if you feel unhappy after a long spell of sexual abstinence, it is very likely that you will be unhappy. Lawton says, “Certainly s*x releases endorphins and happy hormones that give a sense of wellbeing that you might no longer get. From a psychological point of view, someone might feel a responsibility to have sex – they feel that they should be having it. If they are not, that could also lead to a low mood.”
6. Risk of erectile dysfunction: Abstinence from s*x seems to increase the likelihood of erectile dysfunction in men, according to some studies. The studies tend to focus on older men, but they’re all united in the conclusion that regular sexual activity has a positive effect on a man’s erections. Use it or lose it, as it were.
7. Compromised immunity: It seems as if sexual activity contributes positively to body’s immune function. In women, these changes appear to be geared towards making it easier to get pregnant. That’s why, if you are not having s*x regularly, you will lose that benefit and you may be more prone to illnesses and infections that your immune system would otherwise block if you were having regular s*x.
8. Loss of intelligence: Scientists have demonstrated that sexual activity boosts neuron growth in the brain’s hippocampus. Abstinence from s*x does not make the brain grow at all.
9. Low self-esteem: You may feel less attractive and sadder. It’s believed that semen has antidepressant qualities. Using a condom can have these negative reactions as well.
The bottom line: Maintain a healthy s*x life!